I’ve completed the first month of my 3-month contract with BlueRush and I have learned quite a bit. I have been building an entire site (front-end) for the advisors of an investment firm. The site will basically be used as a marketing tool for the firm’s advisors. The design was provided by Erin Askew and the Flash pieces have been created by Derek Rosien . The back-end is now being hooked up by CTO, Robert Shen and Java Developer, Eddy. This has been a great team to work with, and Derek has patiently taught me how to integrate his Flash work into my pages.
The framework is in place now, but there are still change requests by the client, and I am still awaiting full French translations. One of the requirements was that the site had to work in Internet Explorer 6. This was not actually something we focused on in school, so this proved to be a bit of a challenge. I was using IE Tester, but when tested on the project manager’s computer which had IE6 installed, there were some things that still looked a little different. This obviously caused some frustration, so my husband did something really cool for me on my computer at home. He created a virtual machine within my computer using Virtual Box. By creating a virtual machine, he was able to install the dreaded IE6 (my machine has IE8 installed), which has been very useful for development purposes (but get a real browser already!)
I have heard many people complain about developing for IE6, and although it does have its share of problems, I am pretty happy with my work. I have not had to create many separate styles specifically for IE6 & 7 to make the site look similar. Some of the bigger hacks I had to implement included:
- The client wanted to implement a slide up and down element to certain text-heavy pages. I have worked with jQuery before and wrote some simple code to have content show when the related header was clicked, while ‘hiding’ all the other visible content. This worked in most browsers, except IE6 & 7. At first I thought that maybe it had something to do with my code (not sure why) so I implemented tested code from jQueryUI.com but I noticed that certain content was still behaving oddly (content overlap upon showing and hiding). What I discovered was that this overlap was only occurring if the div in question contained a list. I tried to seek out this problem/solution on the internet, but was unsuccessful so unfortunately, due to time constraints, I had to use p-tags instead. If anyone has experienced this same problem and has a solution, please let me know!
I have also enjoyed learning some very basic Java, and am now responsible for updating the template files, along with creating any relevant jsp documents for new pages. It has definitely been an interesting 4-weeks.