Welcome to Puerto Iguazu!

We arrived safely in Iguazu today, despite the delay at the airport in Buenos Aires (Jorge Newbery Airport, not the international airport). Everything seemed to be according to schedule, and then the board status displayed as “See Agent”. The agents only spoke in Spanish, so we had no idea what was going on. Luckily I saw this man that was in the same LAN check-in line as us earlier, and I knew he spoke English, so I asked him what was going on. The agents simply put up the wrong message. He said that usually when “See Agent” is displayed, it means they are about to cancel the flight, but luckily not in this case.

Our flight was supposed to depart at 1:15pm. Nelson was assuming that they would serve food on the flight, so we did not buy anything to eat. The Japanese tour group on our flight boarded with specially made sushi, which was a dead give-away that we weren’t getting lunch. I hadn’t eaten since breakfast so I was starting to get light headed. Finally halfway through our 2 hour flight, the attendants came around with a snack box. Hubby got my hopes up guessing that it would be a ham and cheese sandwhich (which he was sick of), but to my great disappointment, it was only cookies and crackers. Even though I was starving, I wasn’t able to make myself eat the chocolate cookie. It’s rare that I crave sweet food, and this one looked like pure sweetness. I managed to get past the starvation stage by falling asleep so when we landed, I was ok. We were promptly greeted by Juan Pablo of Argecam Tur (organized through Say Hueque) at the tiny Iguazu airport. He was so friendly, and his English was quite good, making our arrival that much more exciting. The tropical weather made me really feel like I was on vacation. Unlike Buenos Aires, Iguazu is lush. Everywhere you looked was green and red (the soil is a red, Misiones soil).

Along the way to Hotel Saint George, Juan pointed out Brazil and Paraguay, which Argentina shares its borders with. After checking in, hubby and I decided to walk along the main strip and check out the restaurant menus. Because of the lack of lunch, we decided to have an earlier dinner. We ended up at A Piacere restaurant, where they had someone with a guitar performing Eric Clapton hits. We sat on the outdoor, upper balcony so we couldn’t see the performer, but we could hear him (he was directly below us), making it a romantic setting. I decided to try their local river fish, surubi, which was a very good large, meaty, white fish. I also ordered the 3/4 bottle of Patagonia Amber lager while Nelson ordered the single bottle of Quilmes, the local beer. He also ordered the Lomo (steak) with a fried egg. Again, his medium rare was more medium, but the flavour was ok. Service was good and we liked that our beers were stored in an ice bucket on our table.

Before dinner, we had wandered down the strip and came across a supermarket, which will become a place we visit a few times while in Iguazu, mainly because they accept larger bills (100 peso bills). We also spent a lot of time trying to figure out which brand of yerba mate (tea) to purchase. We also had no idea what the word ‘ensobrar’ meant. On some boxes, it said con (with) ensobrar (individually wrapped tea bags). So we decided not purchase any tea until we could do some research online.

Tomorrow, our day will start very early. We will be picked up at 7:30am and taken to Iguazu Falls on the Argentine side. We also signed up for the boat ride under the falls. I’m already worrying about how I will hold up. It’s 1 hour of riding rapids and getting soaked going under the powerful falls. Hopefully the adrenaline will prevent me from feeling any motion sickness. I will be overcome with embarassment should I get sick on the ride.

Comments are closed.