I decided to try out this almond butter energy balls recipe today. It’s healthy, easy and not too sweet. I didn’t really measure out the wet ingredients, so I had to add a little more when I started rolling because the mixture was too crumbly at first to work with. I also discovered that it makes it easy to work with if your hands are wet.
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if that suits your constitution)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- ½ cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (mini chips or an extra dark chocolate bar, chopped)
- Blend and roll into balls.
- Refrigerate or freeze
Makes about 2 dozen balls.
A few tips:
To make them more nutritious use an extra dark chocolate in place of the chocolate chips. I like to use a bar that’s 70% cocoa content, or higher.
For the oatmeal use large flake or quick oats, not instant oatmeal. (Instant oatmeal goes gluey and is lower in fiber).